The ruin high over the old town of Baden at 445 m a.s.l. marked the boarder between the Lagern and Schlossberg regions, separated by the gorge. The fortress "Stein" was built before the 1000 A.C and at a brief moment in history was used as an archive by the Habsburger family. The confederates ruined the castle in 1415, however the town of Baden rebuilt it between 1657 and 1670 as a strategic stronghold. However the building was demolished again in 1712 during the "Villmerger war". The only part which has survived Baden's violent past is the small chapel St Nikolaus.